On Monday, June 1, 2020, WCUI released this statement to our students, staff, and faculty:
Dear WCUI Students,
We are deeply appreciative of all members of the WCUI community and we believe that WCUI, as a community of Students, Staff, and Faculty, has an obligation to work to end social injustice and systemic racism. The losses of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and too many others to violence driven by hate and prejudice affirm our responsibility to work together to create a society where discrimination and racism are no longer tolerated.
WCUI has structured a continual donation to Color of Change, which leads campaigns to fight for racial justice and build strength for Black communities. Racial injustice must be our focus not only in times of civil unrest but also in times when injustice may go unnoticed. WCUI is committed to driving change in our communities and working to end unequal justice and systemic racism. As always, we are open to your feedback on how we can do better as a school on these issues, please use Text-the-Top for your thoughts, concerns, or suggestions.
The safety of our students, staff, faculty, and surrounding communities have always been a top priority at WCUI, this is why our campuses are closed today and likely tomorrow. We will monitor the situation on a day-to-day basis. For MRI and Nursing, please wait to hear from your instructor or Program Director.
We encourage everyone to speak out, reject hatred, share peace, and always be safe. If you have any concerns, our Student Advocates and the WCUI team are here to support you and listen. Please connect with us by emailing your students advocate at:
- Los Angeles: email@example.com
- Ontario: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phoenix: email@example.com
Mental Health Resources:
- https://www.crisistextline.org/ Text HOME to (741741) from anywhere in the United States, anytime. Crisis Text Line is here for any crisis. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.
- California Peer-Run Warm Line – https://www.mentalhealthsf.org/peer-run-warmline/
Thank you WCUI, we appreciate everything you do. Please join us as we continue to get better and promote positive change.